Sunday, March 13, 2011

day 24: where I live or where I want to live

I am a military spouse so I have many cities and states that I have called home over the past 4 almost 5 years.
I have lived in
Richmond, VA
Overland Park, KS
Wilmington, NC
Alexandria, VA
Jacksonville, NC

I was born in Hamilton, Ohio. My family (mom, dad and me) moved to Burlington, NC when I was 15 years old. I consider Burlington my home. When I went to college I moved to Greenville, NC, where I met Sohel. After I graduated college, I moved to Richmond, VA. The military called and we went to Overland Park, KS. Then onto Wilmington, Alexandria and now Jacksonville.

My favorite place we lived is Overland Park, KS. We have talked about returning there when our 10 years is up with the USMC.




Reasons I liked Kansas:
1. So different than the East Coast, so clean and friendly.
2. Cost of living is low. Beautiful homes with lots of land
3. Lots to do. Kansas City is right there but so is rural Kansas. Drive a few hours and you can visit The Wizard of Oz museum
4. The weather has all 4 seasons. Longer winters but overall nice weather.
5. Major sports teams (not the best teams) all within an hour drive. We saw the Cheifs and Royals play a few times when we lived there.
6. Schools are great. When we lived there, a show started to air on We that followed girls from the local school for their full 4 years of high school. It was weird to see places just down the road from our apartment.
7. My bestie lives in St. Louis, so I can see her more often than I can now.
8. Thriving art community. Lots of opportunities for me to be all artsy.

Reasons I was glad to leave:
1. Its cold! The day we moved it was -25 degrees and blizzarding.
2. Tornados! Drove through one when we first moved to KS and didn't realize until later. Will be hailing one second and sunny the next second.
3. Its far away from our families. About 13 hours from Sohel's family and 20 from mine.
4. Weirdo grocery stores, silly I know but it took some getting used to. No Kroger, no Harris Tetter. Just Hen House and Price Chopper.

As you can see by the good out weighing the bad, we liked it there. Hope someday to return.


Home: Downtown Burlington, NC in 1913.

Current home: Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment