About Me

My photo
Hi! I am a momma of 2, I’m southern, a vegetarian, & a student. I’m married to a top-notch guy who serves his country for a living. Ethan is the serious type & Lily is the complete opposite of serious! We are currently living it up in NC! This blog is a little place for me to document our lives.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

marine wife? regret?

Do you regret marrying into the military? Honest? I do, sometimes. While I love my husband and the opportunities I've had while being a mil-spouse. Sometimes I feel like my life is on hold. Let me be clear. I DO NOT regret marrying my husband. Sometimes I wish I was a normal wife, who lived in a town for longer than a year, who had friends I've known for years. But I don't. I make new friends every year, awesome people, who have enriched my life. I get to decorate a new place often. I know how to pack a moving truck so that nothing moves, thats a talent!

Once upon a time I was a college student working hard day in and day out to be a big shot costume designer. But my goal was to own my own lingerie line. Yes you read that right, I wanted to design undies. My roomie, Lena and I talked and dreamed about moving to LA and working on movies and tv shows while designing our own clothing lines. One day we would open our own boutique. We were going to be awesome and live fab lives.

I met Sohel when I was 19. He was 21 and already in the Marine Corps. I knew he was for me. Fast forward 9 years (almost), 2 kids later and a few ups and down with the military vs. civilian life here I am. A stay at home mom who very rarely uses her sewing machine. Who thinks about LA sometimes but loves being with my kids playing dinosaurs or racing cars.

Lately I have been dusting my sewing machine and it feels good. I'm slowly gaining a little bit of Lindsey back that has been hiding under pregnancies, children and moves. I have realized that I don't have to lose myself to be a military spouse. I can have it all. I just need to work hard, set goals and I can achieve what I want. It may not be boutique in LA but it can be boutique on etsy.com or in Overland Park, KS (that one is for you hubby ;0) ).

thanks for reading :)

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I have long said that my mother-in-law (a military spouse) should open a lingerie boutique. So when you whip out your new line, you two should collaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post. I know I'm not a mil-spouse, but Dave works for a company that serves the military. Though we don't have to move homes, he is constantly gone...so I identify totally with losing yourself - and having a dusty sewing machine. I made some little crafty things for myself this week and it feels so GOOD to finally have a little spark of "me" back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I loved this. I used to design jewelry but haven't done anything truly creative since I had Cayleigh. Even my beloved guitar still sits in the corner of the boudoir. But if we look closely, even being married to the military is an opportunity in and of itself. It's an opportunity to stretch out a bit, discipline yourself futher and expand your network. When you DO open up your own boutique, you'll have a TON of girls ready to check out your collection :) All thanks to the constant moves and friends you've made. I, too, have had a lot of "what if...?" moments, but marrying Caleb kind of made me a better person. I just started getting into fitness and I think PCS-ing to Cali will give me better opportunities for trainers, etc. You just have to find that little glimmer of opportunity in each situation :) PS...if you make any undies with rhinestones, you've got a buyer already lined up ;)

    ReplyDelete