Monday, September 5, 2011

a look inside: MCB Quantico, VA


Let me start by saying I’m quite giddy at being asked to write my first guest blog. As a relatively young blogger, this is exciting.

My name is Liz, I write over at Laugh, Love, Liz (so please go check me out). I have 2 adorable pups who are often the topic of my rants, I work full time and am a full time college student so I stay pretty busy. I am also married to a soon-to-be USMC Sergeant (ooh-rah!) and we’re stationed at the beautiful MCB Quantico, VA.

Iwo Jima statue at the Quantico front gate

We started off at Camp Lejeune, NC and then 3 short months later moved up to the Quantico area. Due to the long wait list for base housing, we unfortunately got stuck at this tiny little apartment in Woodbridge. For those of you looking for off-base housing in NoVa (Northern Virginia), Woodbridge is the last place you should be looking. Not only did our tiny 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment cost us over our BAH (not even including utilities or internet/cable), but it is a scary, sketchy place. Trashy neighborhoods, gangs, murders at the local Chick-fil-a, burnt bodies in dumpsters – you name it, they got it. We even had to call the cops on a creeper. Don’t move to Woodbridge (instead, check out Stafford, VA).

Tiny little living room in Woodbridge

Once we finally moved on base three months later, I was in love. We now live in a beautiful 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhome with a backyard, 2 car garage and porch. The neighborhoods are beautiful with green, groomed yards and cookie-cutter houses. There are playgrounds, basketball courts and picnic areas everywhere you look and these are always covered in happy, playful children and couples walking their dogs. Of course, the MP’s routinely patrol the streets which gives much comfort to an overly paranoid USMC wife.

Our Quantico townhome, covered in snow

Our house is just a stone’s throw away from the commissary, PX, gas station/liquor store and McDonalds. I’m not thrilled with the commissary due to the typically poor quality of produce and the grungy feel of the store, but if you can deal with that then it’s a great place for your grocery shopping. I don’t shop at the PX mainly because the stuff is way too expensive for me. Coach purses that retail $400 are only $200, but still that’s an expensive purse! I’ve also not been too terribly impressed with their clothing selection – take me to the mall any day (Potomac Mills is my favorite – only about 20 minutes away and full of outlet stores).

Since I’m married to a genuine country boy, I have to touch on Lunga. This the the park on the TBS side of base that has a huge reservoir, lots of camp grounds and enough fishing holes to satisfy even my husband. And PS – there’s groundhogs here like you wouldn’t believe. Remember Caddyshack? Just take a look at the golf course and you’ll have a flash-back.

{source}

The best (and worst) part about Quantico is that it’s less than an hour away from the incredible, beautiful Washington DC.

Capitol

American Indian Museum, DC

While DC houses the Capitol of our country, incredible museums, beautiful architecture and pretty much the best place to learn your history, it is also the home of the worlds worst traffic (so maybe I exaggerate – not the worst, but it still sucks). This isn’t regular traffic – oh no. I’m from Atlanta and I thought I knew what traffic was. That is, until I moved here. Morning rush hour starts at 6 AM and goes to 10 AM, evening rush hour starts at 1 PM and ends at 8 PM, you might as well just stay home on the weekends and if there’s a wreck, you can forget about being on time regardless of where you’re going.

I-95 daily traffic
{source}

All in all, I really love this base. Beauty, history, culture – it’s all here. Take away the traffic and it’s a great place to build a career, make friends and raise a family. I’m hoping hubby and I will be able to finish the last 2.5 years of our USMC life here before moving back home to the beautiful (and traffic-less) northern Georgia.

*Anyone PCSing to Quantico, please feel free to contact me! I’m always looking for new friends!

_______________________________________________

Thank you so much Liz! Please go visit her blog, Laugh, Love, Liz. She is funny plus a friend IRL and I may be bias but she is pretty awesome and a little nutty!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    How long did you have to wait for the house to be available after requesting for one? We will be relocating to Quantico in about 2 months and would like to live in housing as soon as we get there, instead of living off base as we are a one-car family.

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete